Gilligames Forum Index
Games that make you think.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   Create ProfileCreate Profile 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in

Concerts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Concerts Reply with quote

When you go see bands live do you prefer them play a standard set throughout the tour or do you hope for some variety from show to show? I know some bands always play the same songs night after night in the same order with no variation, while others may really shake things up.

There's pros and cons to each method. Most people only see a band once per tour so the "scripted" approach ensures that everybody gets the same show, and the band can really hone in on those 20 or so songs.

But I actually prefer some surprises especially when it comes to bands I've seen many times before. I think the Black Crowes do the best job of varying their set from night to night -- it keeps things fresh and I'm always looking forward to one of their shows because you never quite know what you're going to get.

What do you guys think?
Gillissie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It mostly depends on the band, but for bands that I'm a big fan of, I would prefer that they play a lot of different stuff all the time.

A good example of a band that plays different sets is Clutch. They still play tons of their old material, as well as new. They usually hit songs from every album. Plus, when they play two nights in a row in Flint, MI, they always play a completely different set each night, giving incentive for fans to come to both shows.

An example of a band that plays the same set each time is Iron Maiden. I love Maiden, but after seeing them like 10 times, it would be nice if they retired some of their songs and played some other songs that we never hear anymore.
Eric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know KISS is one of the worst when it comes to performing a scripted show. Even Paul Stanley's introductions to the songs are often identical (sometimes year after year). As a big KISS fan, I would loved to see more variety in their set lists. Of course, they still put on one of the best concerts you'll ever see, so it's hard to complain too much.
Missing User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I love Clutch. Saw them live years and years ago in Seattle. They never seen to come out to the northwest often! It's enough to make me do something reckless like buy a ticket out to to east coast.

Speaking of Michigan, any Thought Industry fans here? I always seem to fall in love with acts that don't tour my side of the country.
Missing User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush does a pretty good job of mixing stuff up, dusting off old material and so.
The last time I saw them (Counterparts in 1993), they went so far as to shuffle openers: a one shot with Primus. Stellar all the way...
Missing User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillissie wrote:

Plus, when they play two nights in a row in Flint, MI, they always play a completely different set each night, giving incentive for fans to come to both shows.

Southern Culture On The Skids recently finished their yearly week-long takeover of The Continental here. 7 shows, 7 different sets, save a few Absolute Fixture tunes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gilligames Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: