Gilligames Forum Index
Games that make you think.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   Create ProfileCreate Profile 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in

Favorite Bands?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk4669

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Favorite Bands? Reply with quote

Muahahahaha! First post in the new forum. Wink

Just as an ice breaker.....who do you all listen to? Be it your favorite band, song, or whatever....what floats your boat?

Cheers!

Hawk
Gillissie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot of different music, but my favorites are metal bands. I think that the greatest metal band around right now is Mastodon. They give me the same kind of feeling I had back in 1986 when I first heard Metallica's Master of Puppets. Hopefully they don't do what Metallica ended up doing.
Hawk4669

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as far as liking lots of different types.

Through school, I was very much a metal-head. Iron Maiden (whom I still love), Metallica (pre-sellout), on down the line I loved 'em. They've pretty much been staples for me.

Over the past few years though, I've really developed a huuuuuuge love for punk. I love MANY different bands in that genere, but the stand out band for me is Bad Religion. My current favorite band, I can't get enough. The music, the content, the band members....just all appeals to me. Plus knowing a punk band that has been around for 25+ years and is still as relevant today as they were when they formed is huge.

Looking forward to hearing from more people as they find the forums.

Cheers!

Hawk
Hawk4669

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon new members....chime in here. I'm curious!

Cheers!

Hawk
Eric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a hard rock glam blues punk. I love 80s metal/hair bands, GNR, The Black Crowes, The Ramones, Social Distortion, Metallica, New York Dolls, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and on and on.

I've played guitar for 20 years (nothing beats a Les Paul through a Marshall). Spent my younger days playing in bands and recording, trying to make it big. It never happened, but I took my shot.

I'm really looking forward for playing the game when it's released. I've played a bunch of different types of these rock-n-roll biz rpg sims, and they're all cool in their own way, but they all lack something. Hopefully Todd's game will really rock.
amok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big into "noise rock" and stuff like that. (got I hate dumb genre names) I'm also a sucker for instrumental rock and metal with lots of reverb.

Some of my favs right now:

Melvins (old school and the new stuff with the two drummers. Seen them on tour just a couple months ago)
Pelican (amazing band live and on CD)
Big Business (two piece that has now merged with the Melvins)
Isis, Neurosis, and all of the other "doom metal" bands like that.
Missing User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly into metal, goth and stoner rock. Smile Fields of the Nephilim, The Sisters of Mercy, Paradise Lost, Monster Magnet, Solefald, Thought Industry, Course of Empire, Skinny Puppy, Floater, Katatonia, Isis... and some hair metal and classic rock.

and that new Mastodon record is fantastic.

-Matt
Missing User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite bands are Tool, Living Colour, and sister machine gun. I like a lot of different genres and bands. I can go from Vivaldi, to Opeth, to Death Cab for Cutie, to the Beatles, and etc.
Missing User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alone on a desert island bands: Zeppelin, Alice In Chains

Hard to live without bands': MushroomHead, Clutch, Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, Life of Agony, Dream Theater, Rage Against the Machine, John Mellencamp, Ozzy, System of A Down, In Flames....They always get me fired up.... Twisted Evil
Missing User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll be the "new music" jerk. I work under the assumption that if I can't find new cd's every week of folks kicking it (punk, pop, whatever), it means I've gotten old. My fave band right now might be Canadian guitar-rock heroes Sloan.

For classic stuff, figure in the usual, but I'll always have a soft spot for The Small Faces (vocalist Stevie Marriott is the only white guy I can think of--maybe Winwood, too--who can hang with heavyweights like Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett for soul shouting) and Mott The Hoople.
Missing User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gess the real questing is what music your into now, because any musician whos worth his crust should be into some if not all the old stuff and for that matter keep looking for new stuff, especially if your still in a band.

Im glad to say as I am part of the English conection that right now im into alot of english bands. The frattellis, Artic monkeys, etc that sort of thing. Oh yeah and The Killers. Laughing

Ok so there not an Englilsh band but they sound like on Very Happy
Missing User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all kinds of music. I don't know if I could choose a favorite. The 5 bands that I have most on my IPOD are Bad Religion, Greg Graffins Solo Projects (American Lesion and Cold as the Clay) NOFX, Green Day and Garth Brooks!

I have everything from The Eagles to Iron Maiden to the Sex Pistols to the Dixie Chicks to Billie Holiday!
Missing User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People say I'm a devoted heavy metal 'eadbanger. That may be true 'coz my favourite band of all time (and I mean it- I love every single release they've made) is Iron Maiden. Megadeth would definitely come next- Dave Mustaine is a bloody genius if you ask me. Learning his guitar parts has become a hobby for me recently. Judas Priest, Helloween, "pre-sellout" (very neat term Hawk Wink ) Metallica (first three albums, actually), King Diamond, BLAZE (Blaze Bayley's project after he left Iron Maiden- top 'o the pops- if you like heavy try this one- I guarantee you'll love it), ARIA (a russian version of Iron Maiden- they're really good), John Sykes (from Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake), Praying Mantis. I've grown a hunger for progressive and power metal bands lately- Shadow Gallery, Angra, Frameshift, Ayreon, Buckethead, Sonata Arctica, Steel Prophet.
And last but not least- a polish thrash metal band KAT ("Executioner")- their music plays the strings of my soul. And they've got great lyrics.

But that does not mean I don't fancy things like old school hip hop (Grandmaster Flash, Kurtis Blow), Frank Zappa or Jethro Tull. If something's good it's good- no matter what's the genre.
Missing User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly into Punk of all description and Dubstep (a newish type of dance music)

also like good Hip Hop, Avante Garde, some folky stuff, some Noise
Missing User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following have been in my "Top Ten" list for about the past 20 years.

David Bowie
Brian Eno
Diamanda Galas
Laibach
The Rolling Stones
Hawkwind

Currently I'm really hot on the Dresden Dolls, and Thin White Rope
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gilligames Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: